Art...it's the family business



We are a family of painters. One favors oil, one favors watercolor, and the other does not discriminate against anything that makes her have fun. Being creative and sometimes messy is a major part of our home.


So yall know that Shane and I met in my art interview for Bentonville High. Most of you also know that 5 months after Millie Mae was born we opened a new High School within the same district. This was a major moment for us because we have been able to build a program from the ground up. Shane is our Department Chair and we are known by the students as the "art school".

This year I am teaching all Art 1 (my sweet spot) and Shane is teaching soooooooo many classes like Art 2, Art 3, AP Art 2D and Ap Art 3D. We have several other teachers that work with us doing Ceramics, Graphic Design, and Art Appreciation. As far as 2D art.....  I see myself as the one that gets the students to fall in love with Art and then Shane comes in and refines them. We are a great team. Working together is a joy. It isn't for everyone but because we are so different it just works.

It is also such a pleasure to teach kids in Art 1 and still get to cheer them on as they tackle each upper lever Art class. By Senior year, I just love them dearly and extremely sad to see them go. Shane is super sad because he has had many of them for several years. The bonds are very tight.

This year, 2018-2019 Senior class is really special. When they were freshman, I was big pregnant with Millie and they came with us from BHS to open this school. They are also the most talented group Shane has ever worked with. Bless his heart, he is gonna cry so hard when they graduate in a month.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to show you what we do all day.  What our world looks like and how fun it really is! Nothing deep, just fun.

Art class doesn't look like it use to. Trust me, these students are working at a college level...even as 9th graders. For us, gone are the days of "everyone passes with an A", "it's the easiest class", "no one cares about art".

Our goal as the Art Department at West is to give our students an experience they can't get anywhere else. I think you will be able to see that in the next photos. We are the real deal and that is why our Seniors are bringing in thousands of dollars in Scholarships.

So I will start with my beautiful class. This is the few from the hallway.



When you walk in I have an area that I call the "gather spot". It is just big enough for the table Shane made me to hold supplies. It's like a living room to me hahaha.


And this is the rest of my room! High ceilings with exposed pipes and plenty room to work! I just love being in here and so do my kids!!!!


We are in the middle of painting right now! Please zoom in on this painting of the burger. She is only a freshman YALL!!!!!! I mean, when I was in art 1 we were doing silly 1 point perspective on copy paper and coloring little harvest pictures. Not the case at our school! NO! We are setting the bar high and these kids are meeting it and exceeding! Also, shout out to our awesome Governor (that is a member of our church ha) for putting "In God We Trust" signs in all classrooms in the state. I like the Power that comes with the name God! Yes, yes I do! 


ART 1 people.......amazing


My Art 1 classes are full of kids 9-12 grade.


 Watercolor practice....


Acrylic Practice...





work in progress painting below












Pen Work...






 Watercolor paintings below




Can you even believe that all that is what is going on in an ART 1 CLASS!!! I LOVE WHAT I TEACH!!!!

Ok so this is Shane Beyer's class below. He has all upper levels. Again, most have him for several years. This really helps with them to become completely confident in what they are able to do! Take a look. And really look....these kids are AMAZING!


Shane Beyer teaching...I snuck a few of these hahahahaha


His room looks like a college class yall. The room and walls are filled with beauty! 


This is his room from the front door!






Look at this oil painting!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made by a Senior!!! It took her 7 months and it is massive in size.


colored pencil


charcoal.....yall the wrinkles are so amazing


work in progress


This photo was taken with this painting in the window so ignore the glare. This painting, along with her entire senior portfolio, has provided over $100,000 in scholarships to a school. Isn't that AMAZING.


Here is a better picture! 

















ISN'T OUR DEPARTMENT SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!

HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS!!!!!


Man, we are so very proud to be apart of this department. The Lord has guided us and shown us what it really means to be a teacher of art and what it means to be a teacher of someone's precious child. God has given us a set of gifts for the workplace and we are using them to the fullest. It is so fulfilling and exciting to show someone that they have an ability and they just didn't know it.

This coming Wed we leave at 4:30 in the morning and head to Little Rock for a competition that is really like the State Championship for us. Schools from all over AR are competing and we are bringing our A game. I can't wait to share how it goes with yall next week!

We like to claim Proverbs 29:18 over our department.....

 Proverbs 29:18....."where there is no vision, the people perish" ...and we have been places where there was no vision and it was a very long slow death. But God brought us to greener pastures and has allowed us to fully obey Him by working unto Him and not man.  What an honor!

Personally, I have always love 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12. I think in this day and age it really means even more to me....

"and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody"

...........good right?! We all know the "most seen", "most liked", "funniest", "most in the know" or "most involved" does not always equal good work ethic when doors are closed. So I love this verse. It just tells me to get in the classroom and work. Don't worry about others. The truth always gets revealed. What is in darkness always comes out to the light. The one that lives out this 1 Thess. scripture doesn't need someone to always be praising them. They work hard regardless. They self feed. They make and meet goals because they are serving a God that is leading them. So for us, whether people understand Art or not.....we mind our own business and we work with our hands. So we never have to deflect in order to hide what we are not doing. No way, we live a quiet life and we let the Lord be the one that builds us up! And that is just another way that God calls us to freedom. Quiet isn't weak or passive. It just means that the work will speak for itself. Man, when you understand that, then you really enjoy what your job. Praise the Lord for teachers. Praise the Lord for Gospel believing teachers. Praise the Lord for teachers that show God's love day in and day out to the least of these. He uses us to bring healing to hurt souls and to encourage the broken. Praise His name for teachers!

Thanks for taking the tour! Have a great weekend yall!!!!